Wednesday, April 23, 2014

What's On Your List?

I don't know if it's a 6 year old thing.  I don't know if it's a boy thing.  But what I do know is that my oldest can only follow one direction at a time.  If I say, "Make your bed, brush your teeth, and fix your hair,"  he only makes the bed.  If I say, "Now brush your teeth and fix your hair," he only brushes his teeth.  I don't know if he zones out after the first task.  I don't know if it's just proof that men do not "multi-task"...ever...in their lives.  I just know this seriously affects our morning routine.  So today I finally took the time to write out a list.  I only told him ONE thing to do:  "Do everything on this list."  I handed the list to Tyson, he crossed each item off as he went, and I didn't have to ask him to do ANYTHING twice.  The morning went SMOOTHLY.   It was lovely! 

But as usual, he taught me more than I taught him.  First of all, I learned that I should have listened to my motherly intuition by doing this list idea MONTHS ago.  But most importantly, I learned that sometimes the most important things we SHOULD do get left off our lists of to-do's - like showing your family LOVE. 

Tyson added 3 more of his own necessary things to his list:  "Kis mom, hug Emmett, hug Miles...." 

 
He melts my heart!
 
And yes, before school, Tyson crossed everything off his list.  I actually got 2 kisses from him - one after he fixed his hair, and another when he hopped out of the car to go to school.   

2 comments:

Thanks for visiting!