Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Patriots in the Making

On this, the most pivitol election day of my life, I am grateful for my children and the way that they love America.

Whenever we see an American flag flying (and my children can spot them from a mile away), Emmett will call out with URGENCY:  "AN AMERICAN FLAG!!!!  PUT YOUR HAND ON YOUR HEART!!!!"  Mitch and I smile that it's so cute, but inside I give a grateful cheer that my children know that it shows you love the land of the free and the home of the brave by paying tribute to the flag & all that it stands for.  (Tyson used to call out in the car like Emmett does now when he was little, too.  Finding the American Flag while we drive has always had equal ground with my kids as spotting semi-trucks, and cows, and awesome cars.  They have ALWAYS been so excited to see the American flag since the moment they understood what it was.)


Tyson knows that today is Voting Day.  Yesterday he was concerned about being able to spell Romney.  He said, "I know how to spell Mitt.  It's like Emmett, but you take off the E, but I have a hard time with Romney, so can you write it down for me?"

This morning he was blessing his breakfast and added all of his own accord, "And please bless Romney to win on Voting Day, today."   I was then amazed at our deep conversation that came next.  He was asking questions about taxes and I was shocked that he could make sense of bigger gov't vs. lesser gov't even though he is 5.  He's an old soul in this little body!  He surprised me after we talked about taxes by saying, "Romney wants more jobs and more money and less taxes, and Obama wants the opposite."

As he was getting ready, I told him that it was a good thing to pray for Romney, but that I want him to remember that no matter what happens--whether there are good things or bad things that America chooses, that if we pray to God, He will help us get through all things--good and bad.  It's SO important for us to do our part, but we also have to wait and see what the voice of the people all across America chooses.

That didn't sit very well with him and he said, "But we NEED a better president than Obama!  Romney knows things that will help our country and Obama won't let us do it!"

I can't remember word for word the rest of what he said, but what he said next was "I CARE!"


I love it!  I love that my children CARE about America, and that in their own little way can understand the importance of days like today.  It is so important that we do our part, to let our voices be heard, and to stand up for what we believe in.  I told Tyson that I'm proud of him for caring about what happens to our country and that he will make a great leader someday.


GO ROMNEY! (My stomach has been in knots all morning--I can't wait for the day to be over so I can know which path our country is going to head on for the next 4 years).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!