Friday, June 19, 2009

Wanted: Antidote for Boredom

Let me just start off by saying that I love being a mom.

With that said, I can't stand down time in huge quantities. A summer is a huge quantity. It is an even larger quantity when I think of it in terms of "staying home" this fall. I am having a hard time with this and I need advice. How do you not go crazy staying home? What is the remedy? My house is sparkling clean, so what am I supposed to do now? I do have a to-do list of projects to work on, but they are boring to me, because I feel like I made them up to fill my time. I'm bored if I do; I'm bored if I don't.

Everyone was asking me at the end of the school year if I was so excited to be done, and the truth is that I wasn't and I'm still not "excited". I'm at peace with my decision, but not excited. I'm addicted to teaching (which is why I'll be running a preschool out of my home this fall). I think somehow, I am also addicted to an overloaded, high stress, full of deadlines schedule, and I'm going to be really sad in about a month when all my teacher friends go back to set up their classrooms and I don't go with them.

I feel like it's the right thing for me to stay home right now--Tyson is ready for it & Mitch is ready for it. As for me...I'm still trying to "get ready" for it. : )

8 comments:

  1. Oh D-Jo, I know what you mean. It's never easy putting YOU on hold to take care of kiddos and just BE. But God has a purpose for you and I'm sure you're going to change so many lives in whatever you do, but especially if you'll be running a preschool out of your home (keep me posted on the details, by the way!!).

    I was on bedrest a big part of my pregnancy so I totally empathize being so bored... all I can say is "this too shall pass"... it seems like an enormous eternity just waiting and resting and doing a whole bunch of nothing, but once you can get back up and moving (which you'll be moving a LOT with 2 little ones) you'll be thankful for your time of rest. I'm sure of it!!!

    Plus, just because you stopped taching now doesn't mean you're done... you will forever have at least 2 kiddos to teach and you'll be able to use what you know to make your boys the smartest in town!

    If there's ANYTHING I can do for you, even just come over and sit with you or whatever... LET ME KNOW! Ok? Seriously! I had the hardest time asking for help during my pregnancy and ended up bored most of the time. But with the exception of my work hours, I'm happy to come over anytime! Maybe we can sing like the good ol' days!! :-D

    Love you, girl... take care! I'll talk to you soon!

    *Muah*

    ~*~ Beckie Black ~*~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debra Jo! I know exactly what you mean. A whole bunch of people asked me if I was excited to finish the year, and I wasn't. A lot of people say, oh you are lucky, you have the whole summer. I am a teacher because I like teaching not because I wanted a summer. I would much rather have year round school because I like being busy and being in the classroom and being with the kids.

    That is awesome though that you are going to be doing a preschool. Good luck!

    I wish I could just come over and then we could hang out instead of being bored! I think you are amazing! Love ya!

    Christy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Find a routine that works for you...plan for something everyday, for example mondays you can make treats for FHE, tuesday is a park day, wednesday ....whatever. For me it's helpful that Keaton is very portable. I try to find kid friendly places, sometimes it's just the mall. I know if I park outside Barnes and Noble at the chandler mall it's a straight shot to the play area. We can stay an hour and go right backout without trying to brave the mall. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally get it, Debra Jo! Check out my blog. I'm going to do my post today, just for you.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well how do you do it? How is your house sparkling clean and you have nothing to do? If your that bored come to my house and get it sarkling clean!! :) Dont forget your having another baby that will feel in all the spare time you have!! Were do you live exactly? We need to get together or something... I know your close casue your in my stake. I am pretty sure I saw Mitch taking your little guy out at stake conference. He is getting soo big!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and your doing a preschool? How cool! Let me know about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew someone would solicit me to come clean their house, too. I really will do anything to keep from being bored. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I went back to school, I was amazed to find how good it was for me and my brain to be learning and challenging myself again. I don't know that it is so much that you need to fill your time, especially with projects or whatever, as much as you need to find something that challenges you...something that keeps you learning. I don't know what that IS exactly, but hopefully that helps. In the meantime, try to find enjoyment in your quiet moments of motherhood. You're going to love it, eventually. Also...running a preschool? I think that will be a good outlet for you. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!