Monday, June 11, 2012

Do You Need a Laugh Today?

I am a fearless mother of 3 (that's not the funny part, quit laughing). 

For the first time ever, I ventured out to brave the world alone with my 3 children.  I didn't have my husband to help me, nor my in-laws, nor my siblings. With courage, we entered the Public Library and in record time checked out books for the children to participate in the summer reading program.  There were no mishaps, no lost children, no fits.  I was Super Mom and my children were PERFECT, but before we left the building my two-year old needed to use the restroom.  "No problem, this will be easy," I thought and we marched into the bathroom, wheeling the stroller and all.  Much to my surprise the restroom was empty...but that should have been my first warning sign.  As we strolled deeper into the bathroom, my eye caught a red sign with yellow wording, "Out of Order", and it was sitting ON A URINAL.  At this moment I slow the stroller to a stop and begin to turn around when in walks a grown man.  Unfortunately, it wasn't a stranger.  It was my high school friend, Rob, who I haven't seen for years, and I begin laughing.

Me:  Oh!  Hi!
Rob (double-take, and recognition):  Oh my gosh, hi!
Me: Imagine meeting you here!
Rob:  What are you doing?
Me:  Is this the Men's bathroom?
Rob: Um, yes.

In walks another man.

Me:  Well if it makes you feel better, I do have a boy with me.
Rob:  So, maybe we can talk outside the bathrooms when he's done.
Me:  Yeah, that sounds good. 

As I wheeled my children into the bustling Women's bathroom, I checked the signs again just to make sure.  I could have SWORN that I was entering the women's bathroom the first time, but sure enough, clear as day there was a man's drawing on that side.  I must suffer from bathroom-sign-dyslexia, though, because I just gave my friend Rob, and his wife something to laugh about the rest of the summer.  As we were talking outside the bathrooms I told them my baby was 5 weeks old and I thought we'd venture out today do try the summer reading program and see if we could handle going places with 3 kids, but clearly I must not be ready to handle such adventures if I can't even walk into the right bathroom. 

Although it was mortifying--there is a blessing to recognize here: At least I didn't WALK IN on my friend.  Thank Heaven those urinals were out of order and that I was 30 seconds AHEAD of the men.  *Whew!*

8 comments:

  1. I am laughing SO hard!! you are NOT the only one this has ever happened to so don't feel too bad!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got your hilarious message yesterday and I'm sorry I haven't called back yet. Seriously, so funny! And Rob of ALL people. How random!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! Those are the best stories :) Congrats on your first outing! It's all downhill from here..... ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha Ha this is SO HILARIOUS! I love how your outing went so perfect and then ended with a wonderful moment of being reunited with a male friend in the men's bathroom. Classic! Funny and Awesome! :) Bright side is at least you had three boys with you in the men's bathroom you could of said they were the one's taking you to the bathroom. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! Totally something I would do!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dad did that once when we were on a family road trip. I was the only family member to see him walk into the womens' room. LOL! I nearly spit out the water I was drinking at the time.

    You'll get into a groove with 3. It may take a few months--but it will definitely get better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally did that once when I was barely pregnant with Kevin. I even thought (once my hubby walked into the bathroom) that it was a co-ed bathroom before another man walked in and I realized I was the one in the wrong. But to my defense I REALLY HAD TO GO. And I SWEAR the picture on the door was a girl NOT a man. Oh well, its a funny story to laugh about, and if you think about it, it's all because of kids. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!