Friday, December 17, 2010

TRADITION!!! TRA - DI - SHUN!

 Tradition means that the pecking order is still alive and well.......
uh......but in reverse order with the youngest three of our family. 
 Tradition means that come "heck or high-water" you still go because you'll have a cruddy day if you don't...even when it means ditching your extremely ill husband on the couch at home. (Let's give a shout out to Mitch for surviving the flu AND strep while we played in the snow...we left at 6 am and returned at 5pm and he was IN THE SAME PLACE WE'D LEFT HIM.  Quit reading this it makes us look bad, but in our defense, no one knew how sick he was until later.)
 Tradition means that all you have to do is say,
"This is our first annual ______"
and you've got something worth keeping.
 Tradition is repeating your son's comments because he's the funniest person on the planet: 
"Let's make a snow-tomato!"
Tradition means that even though I have 500+ pictures of family on 4-wheelers at the beginning OR end of their Christmas tree hunt, that I take another one just to make sure we capture an "original" kind of moment.  (Surely this picture is slightly different than the other 499 similarly posed photos from previous years.) 
Tradition means that ON SITE you chat about what you're going to name your picture folder this year so that you don't accidentally delete all the photos from "Christmas Tree Hunting" last year.  Should it be Christmas Trees 2010, or 2010 Christmas Trees?
Tradition is 3 generations discovering the LOVE in kicking off the Christmas season the right way:  in the woods, with your family, marching through mud or snow, traipsing through the forest, snowballing grandma's car, having vehicles getting stuck in the snow, bailing others out, hunting for hours to find the PERFECT tree, remembering the trees of Christmas' Past, having freezing fingers, building a fire, eating Thanksgiving left overs, and loving every second

This is our TRA-DI-SHUN!!!

5 comments:

  1. Love, love, love that you do this. I did this my entire growing up years and I wish I'd carried on the tradition with my own family. Still, it's fun to live vicariously through yours. We love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record I did move over the course of the 11 hours I was left to fend for my-sick-self from the couch to the floor to the other couch to the lazy boy and then at the end of the day back to the first couch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mitch I feel your pain, I didn't get to go this year either. I was holding the throw up bucket for my 5 year old:( I was sooo disappointed. I love this tra-di-shun!!! Reading your post actualy made me a little weepy, I am so blessed!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your post.... Traditions are the best things ever and they are what help hold families together. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun, I love the picture of Jodi asleep and the boys teasing her as they always do. :) Reminds me of our trip to the east coast as a family the first year you and MItch were married. I LOVE your new picture by the way... I can't believe how big Tyson and EJ are already.. I started crying it is such a beautiful photo that captures everyone's sweet and precious personality. Love the outfits you coordinated well. :) Love you guys and miss you TONS.. Wish we could afford to fly home for Christmas the past two weeks have been the hardest. :) Love you

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I die young, bury me in side, lay me down in a, revlon store, give me some masccara (sp:) at dawn, send me away with a pencil and a sharpener oh oh.... hahah this is the revision to the popular country song in order to fit Jodi's true funeral plans. :P

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!