Saturday, July 30, 2011

Doo-Dah, Doo-Dah!

I've been learning how to play the guitar. 

After about a year of a haphazard practice schedule, I have finally decided to take my brother-in-law's advice.  Brad plays a song for his kids every night on the guitar and he can play awesome songs.  I felt like I wasn't good enough to do that at first.  What's really neat, though, is that while I'm still practicing basic songs from my guitar book to strengthen my chords, all it's taking is a little here, a little there, and in just the last month I have seen a noticeable improvement.  Certain chord changes aren't so hard anymore, and I'm branching out to new things, and even trying my hand at memorizing some songs...and all it takes is 5-10 minutes each night (sometimes every other night) before bed.  So cool! 

My kids' favorite songs are the corniest ones. : )  It's hilarious.  In college, my roommates made fun of me as I would practice the beginner songs, and now those are the ones my kids request...like "She'll be Comin' Round the Mountain" and "Camptown Races".  Emmett will join in on the "Doo-Dah" chorus, and will sing "Doo-dah!" if that's what he wants me to play.  Last night when I finished playing Emmett clapped his hands for me and cheered, "Yay!"  It made me feel so good that he loves my basic, beginner, guitar skills.

Tyson's opinion is a little more, should we say, constructively critical..... A couple weeks ago I was a little proud of myself for branching out to reach some new chords and for throwing some new songs into the mix...I did have a slight pause here or there, but what do you expect when I'm practicing and performing for my kids at the same time?  When I was packing up the guitar Tyson gave me a big hug and said to me, "Some of those songs were THE BEST!!!  And other of those songs, I thought, 'I think she's having a hard time'."  I told him thanks for the honest critique!  Gotta love it!

2 comments:

  1. Love his honesty! Great family photo up top- how cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you can always count on Tyson to tell you the truth... :) Love you Debra Jo, way to practice every night for your kiddos... I should start doing that with my Flute... :) I don't think Mike would appreciate it very much. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!